The ukulele is a relatively straightforward instrument to learn, so it doesn’t come as much of a surprise to know that so many people seeking a new hobby are flocking toward the smaller stringed instrument.
As of 2021, technology is an essential part of learning a new skill. And the development of IOS technology means that we now have access to more day-to-day tools on our mobile devices than ever before.
So, whether you want to learn a new language, track your sleep pattern, or tune your instrument — there’s an app for nearly every occasion. Unfortunately, many of these have hidden in-app charges, or they may require a subscription to unlock the full scope of content.
But if you do happen to be on the lookout for a reliable yet free tuner app to help you tune your ukulele, we’re here to help you out! Free apps are a convenient and cost-effective alternative to clip-on tuners.
And, as phone hardware has improved, the quality of inbuilt microphones has drastically increased — resulting in more accurate tuning apps, and decreasing the need for physical tuning pegs.
In this article, we’ll outline our top picks for the 5 best free ukulele tuning apps for your iPhone.
OUR TOP PICK
Arguably the most useful app on this list, Ukulele Tuna is the perfect way to achieve standard tuning for your ukulele. It is designed specifically for the ukulele player, so you know you’re getting exactly what you need from the app.
It has an easy-to-use interface. Notably, the app produces a distinct notification noise that lets you know when your string is at the correct pitch.
Because of the advanced technology of your iPhone, this app can even detect the string you are tuning, even in the busiest of environments. However, we recommend finding the most secluded spot that you can within your home (or wherever you need to use the tuner) to get the most out of this app.
Ukulele Tuna even comes with a metronome and a chord library, making it really easy for you to put your newly tuned ukulele to the test!
The tuner itself is completely free, which is extremely handy. But if you would like to have access to additional tuning, lessons, or educational chord-based games, you will have to pay for an upgrade.
- Accessibility: You can achieve reliable tuning whenever you need it. As long as you have your phone on you, of course.
- Ease of Use: The app is straightforward and very easy to navigate.
- Tuning Options: As part of the free app, you can alternate between tuning your ukulele, guitar or bass guitar.
- Additional Charges: There are some features that require you to pay for a full version of the app.
Even if you aren’t a guitar player yourself, you’ve no doubt heard of the Fender brand. They are one of the most powerful manufacturers of stringed instruments, notably the guitar, bass guitar and the ukulele, and are usually reliable and built to a high quality. Unsurprisingly, this tuner is no different.
The tuner included in this app provides you with all you need to quickly tune a ukulele in a variety of modes. From standard gCEA tuning to Low G tuning, this app will get you on your way to tuning your ukulele in no time.
It works by identifying the current pitch of your ukulele strings, and then giving you visual feedback until your instrument is perfectly in tune. All you have to do is pluck the string next to the open tuner until the visual on-screen indicator tells you that you are fully in tune. Yes, it really is that easy!
With this Fender Tune app, you’re getting a really sweet deal. Having the tools to accurate tune your strings for free while learning the instrument will help you become more familiar with its sound.
- Variety: You can access a huge number of different ukulele tuning modes for free.
- Trustworthy: Fender is a reliable brand, so you know you’ll be on your way to accurately tuned strings in no time at all.
- Easy to Navigate: The app features a simple interface for beginners.
- Added Extras: Though the tuner itself is free of charge, the majority of the app requires additional payments to unlock content. Be careful of what you do on the app.
This is an amazing ukulele tuner app to download on your iPhone. With Tunefor, you can create a weekly playing and studying plan to keep you motivated in terms of practicing your instrument.
Overall, this app is excellent for recognizing specific frequencies. It has the power to accurately detect the pitch for each ukulele string, making your life that much easier.
What’s more, unlike other tuning apps currently available for download, Tunefor is not attached to a guitar app. Instead, the whole ukulele space available on the Tunefor app has been specially designed for you, the ukulele player, to make tuning and playing your instrument as easy as possible.
Another great feature of this app is the fact that it provides access to several alternative tuning settings, from standard C tuning to Low D/Tenor G tuning.
This gives you the freedom to experiment with your ukulele and get used to how each mode works, which will push you to learn new songs and increase your ukulele capabilities. Best of all, all the benefits of this tuning tool comes at no extra cost!
- Wide Range of Settings: This app allows you to use different tuning settings at the touch of your fingertips.
- Tuning: By pressing on ‘Auto’ you can switch the tuner from an automatic mode to a manual tuning mode.
- Highly Convenient: Tunefor has a simple layout that is easy to navigate. You can quickly switch between the metronome, chords, and tuner with a single swipe.
- In-App Purchase: Some of its most prominent features require additional payments.
The “Free Tuner With Chord Library” app doesn’t have guitar modes to interrupt your tuning. Therefore, it is a great choice if you prefer a simple, straight to the point app that still offers every tool you’ll need to be a successful ukulele player.
The free tuner offers different options to tune your ukulele, bass guitar or your guitar, without you having to get any wires crossed. Not only is this convenient, but it makes tuning your ukulele a much easier process.
It also comes with an on-screen ‘On/Off’ toggle, which allows you to comfortably switch between an automatic and manual ukulele tuning mode whenever you feel like it. To use the automatic tuner, just pluck your string and adjust the tuning until a green light flashes.
The interface is simple, but not as detailed as other similar apps. But the benefit of this is low memory requirements on your device. On top of this, the app is extremely simple to navigate, even if you aren’t very tech-savvy, making it a pretty great app for ukulele players from all walks of life.
- Easy to Use: The simplistic layout of the app makes tuning your instrument a breeze.
- Low Memory Space: You don’t need a lot of space to store this app on your phone.
- Chord Library: As the title suggests, it does come with an extensive chord library. However, you’ll have to pay a small amount of money to have access to it.
- Pop-Up Ads: As expected, there are a lot of free advertisements that pop up when using this app. Sometimes it can be quite distracting.
Though it’s the last on this list, you definitely shouldn’t count The Ukulele App out!
The free tuner included in this app is far more straightforward than others. It only tunes to the standard gCEA, but you can scroll across the fretboard to hear (and see) any note in a particular position. This is a handy tool, especially for a beginner, and injects a bit of fun into the otherwise monotonous process of tuning your ukulele.
Unlike the other apps mentioned on this list, The Ukulele App also has a whole section dedicated to learning and understanding the fundamentals of ukulele playing. With options to learn different strumming patterns and an extensive chord library, this app gives you the tools to get to grips with everything you need to know about the ukulele.
You can pay a small amount of money to upgrade and have full access to lessons and videos, but the free version (tuner included) offers enough all on its own!
- Accuracy: The tuner provided by this app is highly accurate, helping you to achieve the perfect pitch in record time.
- The Tuner Offers Something Different: You can scroll across the fretboard to help familiarize yourself with the different notes.
- Easy to Use: The app itself is relatively straightforward to use.
- Tuning: You can’t alter the tuning mode, you can only tune in standard gCEA. This doesn’t detract from the many other positive parts of this app.
These are our picks for the 5 best free ukulele tuner apps for 2021. Though each app offers an adequate ukulele tuner, we’d recommend trying out each of them to see which one works best for you.